Saturday, October 2, 2010

Come rain or come shine

9:30
It is Saturday morning. Our (stolen)internet is no longer connecting, so I am back to pre-writing in Word. Yesterday was a rainy miserable day outside. I have fully unpacked one suitcase- and the second one is just waiting for shelves/drawers/something to put those clothes in. I am already doing the ‘I have nothing to wear’ thing- but I knew it would come to that since I have maybe 1/3 of my wardrobe and maybe 1/8 of my shoes. Dressing for this weather is…interesting? I felt like I was getting ready to go skiing yesterday. I had my thickest leggings on, tucked into big thick socks, which were squished into my rain boots. Then a long sleeved top under a thick knitted sweater, with a scarf and my rain jacket. And to top it off, my ‘Sherlock Holmes’ hat. It was all necessary for yesterday’s pouring rain mixed with bone-chilling wind. British weather they call it. Guess I better get used to it.
So after unpacking all morning, and getting bundled up, we went downtown to Boots. Now if you don’t already know, I happen to love Shoppers Drug Mart. Boots is practically the British equivalent. I needed a bunch of stuff because three extra sweaters trumped bottles of shampoo and bubble bath in the packing scheme. This took unusually long because my usual stuff is not there- so I had to branch out and figure out where everything was. After that, we hit up ‘pound stretcher’ (aka a dollar store) looking for school supplies. Instead Amy found some cute prints for her room and I found a memory foam mattress topper- this is not your usual dollar store. So again we trudged back from downtown, wondering to ourselves why oh why do we find things when we are so far from home. We also need to figure out the bus thing- because otherwise as the weather gets worse, I may become a hermit. One downside to that is that UofL doesn’t do bus passes like Uvic did. Oh well.
We returned home with rumbling tummies and we were ready to whip up some lovely pasta. But no. At first we thought we were idiots for not knowing how to turn on the stove, but we did everything right and it wouldn’t light. Now gas stoves sort of freak me out to begin with, and then I found out that it was broken. They left an inventory list of things in the apartment and their condition, and the previous tenants wrote next to the stove ‘ignition broken’. As I write this I wonder to myself if we could have lit a match and ignited it ourselves, but then I have images of my hair bursting into flames. We will have to go into the agency today and make sure they get someone to come fix it. Oh but on a different note, we did get the heating working. It is now toasty warm in here.
Well I guess it is time for me to get off the couch and get ready for the day. I will report back later with the events of the day.

3:30
So the sun has been out all day, which was great for my mood as well as my need to find some furniture. We went to the letting agency. The stove igniter has always been broken so all we needed was a lighter- easy enough. Plus they put my fears of burning hair to rest. Now like I said this morning, we have no internet at home anymore. So at the moment I am blogging at a cafe that has free wifi- how European. It's actually a cafe bar- so while amy and I sip our lattes, there are guys around us drinking beer. For a minute we thought they were all looking at us- but then we realized they were staring past us, outside, where a orange Lamborghini just parked. Amy is probably going to take a picture.
Okay back to my play by play of today’s events. After we found out about our stove, we found another grocery store that we finally found salad dressing in. No one has salad dressing, they have ‘salad sauce’- the ingredients only mayonnaise and mustard. Gross. So we finally found some normal dressing and some veggies. We also bought some peaches and nectarines from a market-style store. All this is on Queens Rd- the one that’s a couple blocks from us and has almost everything you need but a mall. We also swung by the school to get some nerd supplies. We have looked everywhere for cheap pens and paper but the school is the only place that seems to have reasonably priced stuff. Strange considering the Uvic stores charge you triple the price of anywhere else. So with that all in our bags we walked home- but not before we caught a whiff of what the butcher was cooking. I guess because it’s Saturday or maybe because it was sunny, the butcher had a pork roast thing on the street and two buns for 5 quid with onions and stuffing and even apple sauce if you wanted. We were curious so we grabbed one each (along with some chicken to make for dinner). They were delightful. Being a vegetarian here would be really hard.
After we dropped this all off at home, we headed across the street to ‘Homebase’ (where I got my hanger thing and amy got her drawers). So I found this cupboard type thing to put my tshirts etc in, plus we got a set of dishes and a screwdriver! So after this coffee break I will put it together. I think Amy is worried, but somehow despite not having a single tomboy characteristic, I am really great at reading instructions and therefore not bad at putting things together.
Tonight we will likely go out. Now that we know the rules, I feel like it will be a much better experience. Plus this is the last weekend before school, so I feel like we need to celebrate. Plus delayed birthday celebrations of course! I will try to write something tomorrow, but if not my next post might be written once I am officially a law student :)

Xo cmac

No comments:

Post a Comment