Sunday, October 24, 2010

I'm actually in classes...

Yesterday I spent 9.5 hours tackling my readings for Tort and Constitution &Admin. Those are the tutorials I have for the first time next week. Oh and Legal Skills again. Con&admin is pretty unexciting- mostly whether or not the UK should codify their constitution into a single document or not. But Tort is getting interesting. This is the type of law I have promised my grandpa I won't get into. Mostly we are dealing with negligence claims. Some of the stuff is actually pretty interesting. One set of cases keep coming up- the unwanted child ones. Basically, up until awhile ago, people could sue the National Heath Service(NHS) for the cost of raising a child they had no intention of having. Okay not just anyone could do this, but if the birth resulted in negligent procedures (i.e a botched vasectomy), they used to get away with this claim. A bit ridiculous? Then they went on to just limit to parents who gave birth to special needs children- because their costs were higher. This is such a touchy topic, I don't even know what to think. But in my legal skills class they are going to make us take apart a section of legislation that deals with marriage- and they want us to do it from a feminist perspective. I am looking forward to that. Okay so that's enough to prove I haven't just been hangin out here.

Today was grocery time, a few more hours in the library, and laundry. Now normally laundry wouldn't be a big event- but the washing machine is broken. This makes it quite the process. It runs, but because it's a front loader it won't open after because it doesn't drain. So you have to remove the hose in the back, let it drain outside(thankfully it is right next to the door) and then have it go through a fast spin about 4 times. still the dryer won't work, so everything has to hang to dry. Sound like fun? No. If we had phones we would call the stupid agency, but until tomorrow- no such luck.

So speaking of phones I will hopefully have one tomorrow. But it will be a UK cell so you won't want to text me, but we will have a landline with a reduced fee to call canada so that's an option. when you really miss me.

I wish I had more exciting things to say, but it was another nerdy weekend. I still need to figure out a halloween costume- the countdown is on! Maybe this week I will make more friends.. other than the girl from india...have I talked about this? Oh dear- let's do this later...

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment