Sunday, October 10, 2010

Turkey Day

(A song to listen to while you read :) )

Thanksgiving. It's here and I am not with the family and I am trying not to feel weird about that. Compared to yesterday, today was much nicer. The morning consisted of lounging around, watching some True Blood, and looking up recipes. I was really determined to make a make-shift thanksgiving dinner. I found the easiest pumpkin pie recipe I could(do you know how many spices you need for it?!), and looked for something else to go with boring mashed potatoes. Then after hitting the books for a couple more hours- but this time in the comfort of my house- we went on a grocery run.
Since we don't have a car, I'm back to carrying around everything I buy, which usually results in multiple small shops instead of massive load ups. Today wasn't supposed to be nuts, but we were running out of everything and I need some serious ingredients for dinner. I will save you from too much suspense- I couldn't find half the things I needed for pumpkin pie, so we ended up buying a mini carrot cake for dessert. But I found some yams, potatoes, carrots and a stuffed chicken to cook! I took a picture, but it isn't a very photogenic bird. It ended up being a great meal and we even have some leftovers. There wasn't any wine- which would never be lacking back home- and I wish someone was here to fight over how to make gravy (we didn't have any). But like Amy and I agreed, we also didn't have to fight our brothers for food. Plus, anything I am missing now will just have to be doubled up at christmas. I am definitely thankful for that.

What are you thankful for? It seems silly that it takes a holiday to make you consider that question, but I suppose it's as good a time as any. I am thankful I am here- in England, in law school, getting to experience something I never expected to. I am thankful I have all of you there- I mean I want you here too- but I am happy I have so many people who I love to come back to. I'm thankful I didn't overcook the chicken. I'm thankful for everyone that reads this- and I'm thankful for having somewhere to put all these silly things down! Now you think about it.

On another note, I haven't had all my law classes yet, and obviously I won't even touch on some types until next year, but so far I am really liking contract law. Not only was my first impression of the prof the best, but while I am learning about it I think I get it. Okay now there is sooo much more to it than what I've read this weekend, but the idea behind it- or at least its premise works for me. Overview: it's when individuals voluntarily enter a contract(big or small) and then one party doesn't go through with their obligation. That's when contract law kicks in and makes sure the claimant is compensated. I always thought this to be a bit boring, but I promise it's a little more exciting than that. Enough school talk?

Did you know that they call cross walks zebra crossings here? Cute. Where am I going with that? No idea. Just a fun British fact. Okay, I'm done.

Well I may not put a post up tomorrow, because I start Tort Law and Constitutional Law tomorrow, and then will hopefully go to yoga. BUT it is a special someone's birthday on Tuesday and I will most definitely have to do something for that!

Hope you liked that cover of one of my favourite Arcade Fire songs.
Au Revoir!


No comments:

Post a Comment