Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mid-month update

In all my effort to no longer bore you with play-by-play of daily events I have gotten behind in telling you some of the best stuff. Firstly, our internet is now setup and I have high hopes that there will be no more deprived days in my future. Secondly, classes are well underway. I actually just finished my first tutorial, and in true cmac fashion I didn't shut up. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let's do this logically.

I finally got to do my lame gym induction thing- which means I get to go to the real gym now. And I have! It is a 15 minute bus ride away, out by the residences. It is strange because they have all their res halls/gym out in a sort of suburb of Leicester. It would be like having UVic downtown- but everyone still living up in gordon head. Or for OC in ktown to have them out in mission. So good call for us to live on our own- since we are about a ten minute stroll to the campus- instead of a bus ride. Side note: The res buildings are not the cement blocks of Uvic though, they are in beautiful old manors on like estates with gardens and such. Little bit of a difference. Now conveniently located for them, the gym is out there. But for me it's just a bus ride. This is one predicament I need advice on- bus pass: yes or no? One person told me they are about 200 pounds- but for a round trip to the gym it's 3.20(3.70 if you have the mean bus drivers). Thoughts?

Tuesday I rushed home, changed and caught the bus out there alone to do the induction. I knew sort of where I was going- but mostly had no clue. I took the right bus and even managed to get off at the right spot- but that's where it all went wrong. I called the gym to give me directions- but apparently there was a bit of a language barrier on one of our ends- and I ended up walking in circles and going the wrong way for about 20 minutes. I got to the gym 5 minutes late. They wouldn't let me join the group- so I had to wait until 2. So I sat on a field, finished Saturday(p.s didn't really love it) and played Sudoku on my phone like a real nerd(but I am getting really quick). The next part isn't that funny- just walked around the gym blah blah blah. BUT on return home to my directionally- retarded flatmate, I made sure she knew exactly what to do and where to go. Funny story- she got off way too soon and wandered around for an hour and a half. She did end up finding it- but way too late. Plus she left her phone at home. Oh Amy :)

Last night I went to the gym- but I am not saying to be like ' oh look how fit I am' (because I'm not...yet)- it was the encounters around this trip that I want to share! Bus ride there way uneventful, but after getting off the bus I ended up walking behind of obvious first year girls. It was 7pm and fricken freezing out- and one of them was just wearing a tanktop! Do I sound 80? Good, because someone needs to put some clothes on these girls. It wasn't their dress as much as their conversation that made me quickly put my headphones in and walk around them. "My stomach is totally flat and my quads are great- but my arms are like grossss." "Yeah I know- in pictures I look sooooo fat"- these are 17 year old sticks talking, and my 80 year old self is still shaking my head at them. The gym was good. Then I had to wait forever for a bus back. This is when I met a lovely redhead who, it turns out, is also in her first year of law- but she is from Southern France(we need to become really good friends...) and is doing the dual french/english degree. So she does the same course as me (the senior status kids) for two years, then goes to France and does two more years there. She was such a sweat heart- and I was really happy to have someone to chat with. After we were on the bus, the next stop took 15 minutes to load everyone. It was either a football or rugby team. The older ones were in suits and looked nice- the freshers were in white painter suits- all taped together. It was quite entertaining- especially when they started singing. One of them asked another girl to marry him- claiming he was justin beiber. Not a usual bus ride.

So today I had my first seminar group thing. It was a cold fall/winter day, but I was determined to look good. I wore my thick black gap (j/l)eggings, black ballet flats, a new striped sweater and new oversized thick black blazer. My hair wasn't cooperating, so I was brave and attempted the 'top knot' style- which actually worked because of my big scarf wrapped around my neck. Anyways, feeling like I looked pretty cute I went. Turns out they do tutorials/seminars so that senior status people are all together- so mostly Canadians and all my age! I lucked out. Amy and I have been scanning our massive lectures of 200+ for hotties- and two of my favs are in my group. One's from London, one's from Vancouver... now only if I could act cool. Which is not possible when you put me in a group and ask a question. I have an unbearable urge to talk. And I did. So my irish TA loves me already- but coolness levels are severely decreasing. OH WELL.

By the way- prof update. One's german, one's irish, one's spanish, one's italian, and my tort law prof is this lovely British lady. So European. I will let you know about all my TA's for tutorials once I have them.

In other news- I am becoming so white I am nearly see-through. There is a tanning salon place around the corner. I think it is an essential investment. Oh and I bought shelves today for my room (finally) which I will be shortly putting together- and finally a mirror for the bathroom! This place is really starting to feel like a home. Once I purchase a phone, I have a landline too! Oh and soon I should be able to switch my phone over to the UK networks- so texting will have to stop mostly- but I will warn you before that happens!

Anyways, I am off to my afternoon class. Ta-ta for now my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment