Thursday, September 30, 2010

Home Maker

Sorry for the lack of post yesterday- but it's because we got wonderful news! We pleaded with a different lady at the letting agency- and they let us sign the lease. So we moved in and it was a very busy day. It was also exciting to find out that one of our neighbours is too dumb to put a password on the internet so we have internet for free until they set ours up. So i can keep you all up to date.

So we bought a ton of cleaning supplies and were determined to scrub everything before unpacking anything. So we pumped some music and I got into OCD mode. They we set up our rooms and figured out what we needed to get for furniture. Our place is furnished but there is nothing in my room except a bed. Amy's room is identical except it has a bit of a closet- but nothing big enough to fit either of our wardrobes. So we trudged over to a store about a block away (that's kind of like HomeSense at home) in a torrential down pour. Amy got some plastic drawer things to use in the closet, we got a Brita filter, and I got a clothes hanger thingy. It is not nearly as nice as the one I had in vic, but unfortunately this was all they had- and it was relatively cheap. Now yesterday was Amy's birthday, and we had fully intended to go out and celebrate. But then it was 9pm before we stopped long enough to look at a clock. Since all day my hands were full of various luggage pieces or cleaning supplies whilst running around in the rain, I had terrible hair going on. We hadn't gone grocery shopping yet, so we had nothing to eat. And we were both in sweatpants. Now on my birthday I wouldn't let this happen because I'm way too much of a narcissist, but Amy is so much cooler. She decided it would be just as fun to go out on the weekend instead and just stay in for the night. So we found the closest pizza place, grabbed some cheap champagne and watched downloaded tv shows we were catching up on (cough cough gossip girl). It was great actually and today was much more productive than it would have been.

So today was the first day that stayed sunny and warm ALL DAY! Last night I had a great sleep in my new bed (pictures to come I promise) and woke up feeling wonderful. So we went to the school (15 minutes away walking slowly) and got our gym passes. Then we found a grocery store two blocks away from our house- so lucky- and got as much as we figured we could fit in our goddamn mini fridge. Yes- it is a mini fridge. It wasn't until our cleaning sesh that we realized we have another freezer in a closet next to the kitchen- thank god. But still, this is going to be annoying I can already feel it.

To deal with the lack of 'things' in the house we then walked downtown to "T.K Maxx", now for all you shoppers you might think I made a typo- no no it's with a K not a J, but it exactly the same. We got some extra blankets- because our house is freezing. I am trying to figure out how the hell to control this but so far my attempts to turn on the electric heaters have failed- and the big box in the kitchen may as well have writing in Chinese on it. So yes blankets. and a toothbrush holder, and soap dispenser, and hangers, and baskets, and an ipod player and an orange paper towel holder, and a coat rack and mirrors. Then we had to carry that all back to our house- which took about 45 minutes. I don't think I have discussed this new thing amy does when we walk. As she passes any remotely good looking guys, she states they are our new boyfriends- and let me tell you she is not quiet. and this happens a lot. I no longer even bother being embarrassed.

So now we are doing our afternoon internet time-because that's when most of you are finally awake. We got our first batch of mail today! A bill for water- which I guess you pay for 6 months at a time- in advance. Oh and our bank cards! We are now holders of UK Bank accounts. So I am going to organize some things, take some pictures, and have a bubble bath.

Ta-ta my dears.
Hope all is well at home

No comments:

Post a Comment