Tuesday, October 26, 2010

British Weather

I was beginning to forget the horrors of torrential down-pours because over the last week or so, we have barely had any rain. We did have hail storms a bit, but those lasted minutes and left you quite a bit dryer than rain would. Regardless, it is back. I left the house in normal boots and just in case grabbed my umbrella but boy was I unprepared. By the time I was out of classes, rain boots would have been a much better choice. Thankfully I have given up on my futile attempts to have any good hair days while I live here, so I was meeting the rain with full-on frizz anyways but my toes are soaked. This afternoon- 'wellies' are in order.
I didn't go phone shopping yesterday because there were more important issues to deal with. Like giving the letting agency the list of things wrong with our house. I've already mentioned the laundry issues, and the fact that our gate's lock has been broken is minor, BUT yesterday while I was washing my face, the faucet on our bathroom sink fell off. Completely broke off. I tried to see if it would screw back on or something- but nope. I even looked through the house hoping someone left some duct tape behind. So I had to brush my teeth over the bath tub. And to really make our bathroom sound terrible, Amy has discovered that water has been leaking from the back of the toilet. gross. I tried to see if there was anything to adjust (my skills with this sort of thing are extremely limited) but British toilets are different and weird and so it was added to the list. The lady at the agency was a little surprised about the lengthly list of problems, but promised to have two guys come look at it today.
So here I am, sitting in the other room wasting time while they bang away at the various broken parts of our humble abode. I would really like to have lunch, but there is no way to squeeze in there. Plus I don't want to be subject to "how the hell did this happen" comments from these guys.
So in other news I am going skating tomorrow- I think I talked about this already. But Amy refuses to come with me, so it will be an attempt to be independent and hopefully make some friends. Speaking of friends, I wanted to explain my statement about the girl from India.
At my first legal skills seminar, I met a girl who seemed quite nice, but explained to me that she hadn't done any of the readings(two chapters from the textbook, a case and a statute) or answered any of the questions. I figured it was only our first seminar so she would be fine, and didn't think much of it. At the end of class she asked for my email and name, and I thought it was so great to have made a friend. But then I got an email from her. She wanted to ask me which chapters we needed to read and whether it was really necessary. She has a hard time understanding english, so maybe she didn't realize that in our booklet for the class it is very clear about what is mandatory and what is additional. But again, thought nothing of it and replied to her saying read this and answer these. Then she quickly responded saying" I don't understand activity 1, 2 or 3"- which is all three part of what we need to for for thursday. She asked if I could explain them to her. This is when I realized I was being too nice. We have a tutor for this particular seminar, plus we have a personal tutor- I am trying to keep up with my own work, I can't give her my answers too. I am therefore dreading thursday, when most likely she will say she didn't understand, and make sure she is my partner, and make it so I don't get to discuss it with anyone but the girl that has done nothing. I don't know what to do. I don't want to be mean, she is nice, but I don't want to risk not understanding a particular part of the class because I am too busy reading her my answers. Plus this week we have an actual test on the material, so there's no time to mess around. Amy thinks I should be nice because she might secretly be a bollywood dancer who is looking for someone to travel the world with or something ridiculous. I'm slightly conflicted.
On another note I have had two tutorials with my new group now, and I think it will be interesting. No hot guys like legal skills, but interesting characters. More to come on that.

Now to give you a break from my blabber, have a look at this article. It's about bans on miniskirts. It is kind of silly- but look near the bottom. they have bans in this town on everything! "In other places they have banned sandcastles, kissing in cars, feeding stray cats, wooden clogs and the use of lawn mowers at weekends." Read it for something light- and be thankful for your right to wear what you want- for the most part.
Have a great day!

P.S I can do laundry now- they found what caused the problem. A 'hair grip' (aka a bobby pin) got caught in a tube. My fault. Oops!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like you need to be more supportive of your indian friend. maybe she works at the last minute.....

    ReplyDelete