Monday, September 6, 2010

Movie night

During this long weekend I have found myself watching a few movies and I thought I might share my thoughts. Firstly, I watched The Backup Plan- insert shudder here- with Jennifer Lopez. Okay, okay, so this was obviously a super-chick flick with a predictable plot and fill in the blank cheesy lines. Yet, it got me thinking just a little bit. The whole point of this movie is that the main character, Zoe, wants a baby so badly and is no longer willing to wait for the right guy. This leads to what they show as a quick artificial insemination - because they don't waste time with the realities of this procedure. Luckily enough she promptly finds mr. right. You know how the rest goes. I can't help but wonder how I really feel about this whole situation. If this was the only way for me to have children, would I go through with it? and even more- would I go through it alone? It's a decision I hope I don't have to make, but it seems to come up more and more lately. I know I want kids- but how far would you go? Not that I want to get into the whole thing about choosing a career over a family- because I am going into a field that does often put that pressure on women- but really, the reports keep coming out that if you aren't having babies in your 20's, you may have a hard time having them at all. So is it silly that all these thoughts come to mind after watching a bad J.Lo movie? You tell me.

Next one: Going the distance. I guess I have a weakness for Drew Barrymore due to my love for Never Been Kissed. This movie wasn't down right terrible, but film critics could easily tear it apart. I'm not going to critique it, however, I do want to take this moment to discuss long distance relationships (since, if you haven't seen the preview, that is what the movie is all about). Can they work? We have so many ways to keep in constant contact with people lately that it is hard to really feel far away. With skype- and my favorite- ichat, not only can you talk to people across the world, you can really see them. Yet, I don't think this can really be enough for a romantic relationship. Perhaps if you knew there was a defined time limit on the distance it would be tolerable, but if it was an open-ended "see you soon" how do you deal with that? One thing I must give this movie credit for is not making Drew (spoiler alert I guess?!) quit her job for the man she loved. I liked that her character was strong enough to stick to her plans. I guess you may have to watch it for yourself to really make up your mind, but it didn't put to rest my skepticism on long distance relationships. It did, on the other hand, help me to develop a small crush on Jason Long...

I know these movie choices make me sound as if I quite possibly have the worst taste in movies EVER, but I will forgive your judgement for now. But to finish this post up, I will leave you with a song:
(Aren't you excited that I got the Youtube thing to work! Next I hope I can learn how to just play a song- so it could be like a soundtrack to each post...)

No comments:

Post a Comment