Monday, November 1, 2010

Remember Remember the 5th of November

Okay so I racked my brain and thought of two things to tell you about that are wayyy more exciting than school!

Firstly, Wednesday I am finally venturing away from Leicester for the afternoon. Nottingham here I come. This is where the skating I have been going on about will occur. It is only an hour bus ride- then we are going for dinner at the Pitcher and Piano. It's apparently this cool restaurant- in an old church! I will try and remember to take pictures. Then we are going to the National Ice Centre- doesn't that sound massive and amazing? Haha it isn't really but it should be fun, especially because my skating abilities are limited anyways. Plus it will give me a great opportunity to wear my olympic woollen mits :)

Secondly, I am excited to be experiencing a little history event this week! It is Guy Fawkes Day on Friday. This story has been engrained in my head throughout my undergrad so how lovely to apply some knowledge. Read this lovely history lesson. To sum up, Guy Fawkes was part of the Gunpowder Plot- a bunch of Catholics that wanted to blow up parliament (with the King inside) because the king wasn't loosening up the anti-catholic laws. It failed. They were executed. But that's why they say:
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

This is also sort of what V for Vendetta was based around. Which I should probably watch again- seeing as I fell asleep and only really remember natalie portman having her head shaved. Regardless, there is some British history for you. And maybe a movie suggestion? I will definitely be bundling up and going downtown to see the bonfire and watch fireworks here- again I will try and take pictures.

And on a completely different note, did you hear about this? East Midlands Airport is really close to Leicester. Fantastic. But don't worry- now you can't bring printers/printer toners on planes- because that was what I was planning to bring you all home for christmas....

1 comment:

  1. In order for you to socialize at this event, please do not bring your ipod and ignore the world.

    love,

    Your eternal skiing partner.

    ReplyDelete