Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rad Recipes

Wow. Three posts in one day. Don't get overwhelmed. But I had way to much to fit into one. Plus this has been a little blog idea I have been meaning to do for far too long. Sunday night dinners have been our excuse to try out new recipes and try to make them work in this country lacking good grocery stores. or ovens that cooperate..etc. So here are some of my fav's from home mixed in with some newbies that have been approved as delicious sunday dinner options.

The steps for kale chips are here. This is a great way to incorporate kale into everyday eating, they are simple and so very delicious. The only kale we can find here is in bags of pre-cut pieces, but when I get home I plan to make them a bit bigger (since they shrink quite a bit). We also experimented by adding a little chilli powder in one batch. Then a little cinnamon to another. mmmmm. The only problem is that they don't last long, not because they go bad or anything silly- because they are quickly in everyones tummies.

Last Sunday I tried out this recipe for potato pancakes. If you know me, you understand I may be the pickiest breakfast food eater ever. Pancakes, eggs, french toast- no sir. But if someone made these one lovely morning I think they would win me over. There is no syrup in sight. or runny eggs. And these are so much better than hashbrowns.

And the recipe for the Huevos Rancheros that I showed in my earlier post. Flan gets credit here for convincing me finally to eat (and then get addicted to) this, but like I told her earlier today- she has some serious competition now. {okay remember like two seconds ago I said I hate eggs- well I have this bizarre thing where I can eat them if they are hardboiled/poached. and they are here so don't freak out}

Speaking of her, I figured I better get one of our most used concoctions from last year on this here blog. Kitchen Sink Muffins. The piece of paper I have this written on has something resembling a stain from banana and a little chocolate smudge- and this should prove how well it was used. We looked at a bunch of different recipes, combined them, altered them almost everytime, but here was the basic idea (and feel free to switch things up- the whole idea is that 'they have everything- but the kitchen sink' in them).

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 cups grated carrot (or zucchini or apples)
1/3 cup choped, dried apricot
2/3 cup walnuts 
1 cup chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups coconut
1 mashed banana 
3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla 
~
Combine dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and fruits (except banana). Separately, stir wet ingredients together and then into the flour mixture. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake @ 375*F for 15-20 mins. 
~


This next one was a big hit at Sunday dinner- and so easy. Parmesan-crusted Asparagus will change any bad feelings about asparagus you may have. I don't have any- I love em so much- but this is like your very own tempura in minutes. I got this from the cookbook I got Colt for Christmas last year. Despite his cooking skills, he refuses to take more than a glance at it- yet won't let me steal it. After you read this- maybe you will change your mind buddy.

3/4 cup mayo
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup panko/breadcrumbs
3/4 grated parmesan 
2 large bunches of asparagus
2 tbsp olive oil
~
Preheat oven to 450*F, coat baking sheet w/spray. In bowl: whisk mayo, mustard, lemon juice and salt. On plate: combine panko & parm. Dip asparagus into mayo mixture and then the panko mixture, then onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake for 14-16 minutes, turning halfway through. 
~


Now I have a few more, but I will give them to you later in the week. Hope these make your mouth water and give you a little inspiration in the kitchen. Maybe in Spain I will find out how to make fabulous sangria- and we are going to the 'home of paella' so I will take notes.
Cheers xo

No comments:

Post a Comment