Sunday, September 18, 2011

Boys boys boys.

Ha did you think I was going to talk about my (lack of) love life? WRONG!
Today I was inspired by a) a little talk with geronimo and b) the sartorialist obviously. Over the long weekend I may or may not have made a drunken comment about a guy that needs to update his look. For guys style I feel like there are a few simple rules.

1) Once you are out of high school- board shorts no longer are allowed for daily wearing. If you aren't at the beach/boat/shortly entering water- no boardshorts. You are not a california surfer (unless you are- in which case you just keep on wearing them).

2) Same goes for sweatpants. Those are for lazy nights/days when you aren't planning on leaving the house. Or maybe just maybe to/from the gym. But really there are so many better options. I understand if lulu isn't your style, but you don't have to go far to look just a little more put together.

3) Wear some nice shoes. I am fully aware that mens shoes can be expensive- and crazily heavy sometimes- but shoes are what really help pull an outfit together. I'm not saying you need to walk around in pointy toed bejewelled boots to look good- but scuffed up runners don't cut it. Maybe because the boys in my family are shoe snobs, or maybe because I just love shoes- whether they are on boys or girls-  this has really become key when thinking about guy's style.

4) If you bum is not inside your pants- they aren't pants. They are just weird leg dangly things. For the most part, this isn't a huge issue anymore. thank god.

5) Baggy vs Tight. Shirts should not be too extreme either way. If it's too big it either makes you look too small or too large. never good. If it's too tight- same goes.

6) Dressing well doesn't make people question your sexuality. This is such a common excuse guys use- and it kinda makes me want to barf. Whatever your preference- dressing well makes you more attractive. Does that sound materialistic? I don't mean it to- this isn't about spending loads of money on designer things because you will look better- it's about knowing what you need to make your whole look come together.

Having a dad who is hugely into fashion- and three brothers that each have a distinct style- I know these aren't hard rules to live by. Some of my favourite pictures of men with great style come from The Sartorialist- this link goes right to pages and pages of men that dress well. Some won't work for you- not a scarf guy? that's cool. Not going to realistically wear a suit daily? also fine. But take a look. Scott- who takes these pictures travels all over the world, is hugely famous- and most importantly knowns what he's talking about. Don't be thrown off by so odd outfits- do you really think women love everything they see  all the time? no. So have a peek. Here are some that I like..







xo cmac

No comments:

Post a Comment